Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Poker & the Gentle Art of Self Deception

So Poker is a great game where you can sit with the best and come out a winner. You can make ridiculously bad plays and they come off. Its what keeps the game alive. Hey a one in ten shot really ain't that bad when you think about it. I try to be the guy who gives that one in then shot shot, with pot odds of 2 or 3 to 1. Yeah they hit sometimes, sometimes it feels like they hit all the time, but hey, that's the game.
So this leads me to the gentle art of self deception. How do rate your poker game. I figure I'm not the best around but I'm willing to do the work off the ball to use a soccer analogy. I'm watching the other players as they watch the flop, I'm reading books, visiting websites, keeping records and reflecting on my game. That's my edge over the lazy player who just turns up and plays.
So I visited my records the other day and I was surprised at what I saw. Ive read three poker books in the last five years! My whole self image of the hard working player, always trying to improve has been shattered. So I'm taking things seriously now, reading and studying furiously, but that image of the knowledgeable player has been shattered once and for all.
That's not the only way the poker infuses self deception into your life, most of us think were better than most of the other players. But how are your results? Make allot of final tables but miss the cash? I know I do. Sit there all patient for a couple of hours then get loose and blow your cash? That's me two.
So as I have five years of laziness, while I playing more than ever before to make up for, I better get out of here and hit the books.
Good luck in your poker playing! You will need it if your as lazy as I am.
P.S. Over my lifetime Ive consumed 15 books, 5 DVDs, read numerous articles on sites like www.Poker1.com and watched a few online vids so I'm not that uneducated. However education needs to be a continuing process, if your not improving your being left behind.
Going Pro is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment