Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Learning Curve

So it seems I have been failing to bring my A game to the tables. Im putting this down to two main causes. The number one cause is Im playing at a level that Im financially uncomfortable with. I generally like to play a tight aggressive to loose aggressive game, with the buyin being 3/3% of my total bankroll in a no limit game Im finding myself tightening up way too much. This effects my play and so I need to build my bankroll substantially before returning to the casino. The other reason is Im returning to the game after a good six months off, so while the game has moved on Ive stayed right where I was, actually Ive gone backward. Not to fear however I have a plan.
1 - I re read all the poker books in my possesion
2 - I buy and read a poker basics book, easy to find and the basics is where Im falling down
3 - I build my play money bankroll up to 1 million dollars from the 350,000 it currently is. (This is simply to build in the discipline of playing winning poker, even against weak opponents I recommend the practice)
4 - I build my online cash game/bankroll to at least 10,000. I currently play at PokerStars a notoriously difficult site. The plan will involve joining two other sites, Party Poker and Chilli Poker and building my online game. Although many of the higher skills and so allot of my edge comes from live play, the discipline of reading opponents through betting patterns and using the more mechanical elements of poker, the mathematics and general game play will build my game and should plug the leaks in my game
5 - I will continue to play in small stakes live tournaments, looking for weaker games in order to build a substantial bankroll. This discipline in gaining dominance in the small stakes games before returning to the casino is also important. A bankroll of 5,000 built over the next two to three months is the initial goal. This will be updated at the end of June and again at the end of July.
So that's the plan, don't fear to much Going Proers we will get there just need that patience and discipline the keys to a great poker game.
By the way I picked up some great advice on some sites that I have found subsequently to be of great help. I already new about the two plus two forum, but DuecesCracked is a great site as well allot of great advice on online play, with plenty of videos and a free seven day trial.
Just to keep you all interested I will be playing Freeroll qualifiers to all ANZPT events through PokerStars. The next event is in Queenstown New Zealand. Of course this route means beating a large amount of players to qualify and there is a luck element, though persistence pays off.
So till next time stay tuned.
Going Pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment